North Korea Claims Successful Hydrogen Bomb Test (News)
[2017.09.04] Read in: 日本語 | ESPAÑOL | Русский |

Seoul, Sept. 3 (Jiji Press)—North Korea claimed Sunday that it has successfully tested a hydrogen bomb that can be loaded into an intercontinental ballistic missile, escalating tensions further over the Korean Peninsula despite international calls for restraint.

North Korea’s nuclear weapons research institute detonated a hydrogen bomb with perfect success at a test site in the northeastern part of the county at noon local time, the state-run Korean Central Television said.

It was the sixth nuclear test by North Korea and its first since September 9 last year. It was the first North Korean nuclear test since the administration of US President Donald Trump was inaugurated in January.

It was also North Korea’s second claim of a successful hydrogen bomb test, after one on January 6 last year.

The latest provocation is a clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions banning North Korea from nuclear- and missile-related activities.

Japan Protests Nuclear Test, Eyes Stricter Sanctions

Tokyo, Sept. 3 (Jiji Press)—The Japanese government condemned North Korea on Sunday for conducting a nuclear test the same day in defiance of international pressure and protested against the reclusive state through embassy channels in Beijing.

Speaking to reporters, Japanese Prime Minister Abe Shinzō said the test is “absolutely intolerable.”

Abe signaled Japan’s intention of aiming for a new UN Security Council resolution imposing stricter sanctions against North Korea. “We will work with the international community to take resolute actions. The United Nations must express its strong will to protect world peace,” he said.

On Sunday night, Abe held separate telephone talks with US President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin to exchange views on the possible fresh UNSC resolution.

Abe and Trump confirmed that the international community must show strong determination and exert powerful pressure on North Korea. Trump said that the latest outrageous act cannot be overlooked. Abe responded by saying that the nuclear test was a reckless act that can never be accepted.

[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]

  • [2017.09.04]
Related articles
Other columns

Video highlights

New series

バナーエリア2
  • From our columnists
  • In the news