Aftershocks of March 2011 Megaquake Increase Last Year (News)
[2017.03.09] Read in: 日本語 | ESPAÑOL | العربية |

Tokyo, March 9 (Jiji Press)—Japan saw a reversal last year of the downtrend in the number of aftershocks of the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11, 2011, the Japan Meteorological Agency has said.

In the year through Monday, the number of aftershocks that measured one or higher on the Japanese seismic intensity scale of 7 came to 784, up from the previous year’s 620, according to data released by the agency on Wednesday.

The agency attributed the result to a brief rise in the number of major aftershocks, including a 7.4-magnitude quake off Fukushima Prefecture in November and a 6.3-magnitude one in northern Ibaraki Prefecture in December.

The Ibaraki quake registered up to lower 6, the third highest on the 10-notch Japanese intensity scale, for the first time since April 2011, the month after the 9.0-magnitude temblor, which logged 7, the highest on the Japanese scale.

“Aftershocks remain on a declining trend,” senior agency official Nakamura Kōji said, while warning that aftershocks causing strong shaking or triggering tsunami may continue to occur.

[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]

  • [2017.03.09]
Related articles
Other columns

Video highlights

New series

バナーエリア2
  • From our columnists
  • In the news