Power-Saving Campaign Scaled Down in Quake-Hit Hokkaido

Society Lifestyle

Tokyo, Sept. 14 (Jiji Press)--Industry minister Hiroshige Seko said Friday that the government will scale down a power-saving campaign in Hokkaido implemented after a powerful earthquake last week.

The government will withdraw a target of cutting power consumption by 20 pct from normal levels in the northernmost prefecture Friday night, he told a press conference.

After that, residents and businesses in Hokkaido will be asked to make efforts to reduce power consumption by 10 pct, he said, adding that the power-saving rate stood at 9.9 pct over the hour from 5 p.m. (8 a.m. GMT).

Seko said there would be no need to conduct rolling blackouts there for the time being.

On Friday, Hokkaido Electric Power Co. <9509> put back online the No. 2 generator at its Kyogoku pumped hydroelectric power plant after reactivating the No. 1 unit Thursday.

[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]

Jiji Press