Court OKs Ghosn's Detention through Jan. 1

Society

Tokyo, Dec. 23 (Jiji Press)--Tokyo District Court decided on Sunday to allow public prosecutors to keep detaining former Nissan Motor Co. <7201> Chairman Carlos Ghosn until Jan. 1.

Chances cannot be ruled out that the Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office will request a detention extension of up to 10 days and the court will grant it, informed sources said.

Although his hopes for release from the Tokyo Detention House by the end of the year had been dashed, Ghosn did not look shocked, the sources said.

Ghosn has been held at the detention house since his first arrest by the prosecutors on Nov. 19 on charges of underreporting his executive pay in financial statements. He was rearrested and indicted on Dec. 10 on underreporting charges.

The prosecutors served a fresh arrest warrant to Ghosn on Friday, for suspected aggravated breach of trust, after the court turned down the prosecutors' request for extending his detention period that was set to end on Thursday.

[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]

Jiji Press