Japan's Abe Eying Concrete Steps against S. Korean Labor Ruling
Tokyo, Jan. 6 (Jiji Press)--Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, in a television program broadcast on Sunday, showed his government's intention to take concrete steps against a recent South Korean top court ruling that ordered a Japanese company to pay compensation over wartime labor.
The Supreme Court of Korea on Oct. 30, 2018, ordered Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corp. <5401> to pay damage to some South Korean plaintiffs who claim to have been brought to Japan during World War II to work for Nippon Steel's predecessor. The Korean Peninsula was under Japanese colonial rule at the time.
The plaintiffs' side said earlier this month that they had filed with a local court for the seizure of Nippon Steel assets in South Korea, claiming that the Japanese firm, despite the top court verdict, failed to meet a deadline set by the plaintiffs for showing an intention to hold talks with them on the compensation issue.
In the Japan Broadcasting Corp. (NHK) program, which was recorded on Friday, Abe said the asset seizure request was "extremely regrettable," adding, "I take the development seriously."
The Japanese leader said, "I have instructed relevant ministries and agencies to consider concrete steps based on international law so that we can take a firm response over the matter."
[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]