S. Korea Calls on Japan Firms to Compensate Wartime Laborers
Seoul, May 23 (Jiji Press)--A South Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman on Thursday called on Japanese firms to pay compensation to South Koreans requisitioned to work for them during World War II, in line with South Korean supreme court rulings handed down last year.
There will be no more problem if the companies follow the rulings, the spokesman told a press conference.
At a press conference in Tokyo on Tuesday, Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono expressed dissatisfaction at South Korean Prime Minister Lee Nak-yon's recent remark that there are limits in actions the South Korean government can take in regard to the wartime labor issue.
Kono also said that he wants South Korean President Moon Jae-in to handle the matter in a responsible manner.
The South Korean spokesman's remarks apparently reflect South Korea's displeasure with Kono's comments and show its stance that a resolution of the issue depends on actions by the Japanese side.
[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]