Arson Suspect Apparently Sent Novel to Kyoto Animation

Society

Kyoto, July 30 (Jiji Press)--The name of the suspect in the July 18 arson attack at a Kyoto Animation Co. studio has been found among the writers of novels sent to the company in the past, its lawyer said on Tuesday.

The suspect, Shinji Aoba, 41, claimed when he was captured following the attack that his novel had been stolen, according to informed sources.

Kyoto Animation solicits novels to make some of them into anime. "We're confident that none of the company's products so far has any similarity" to the apparent work of the suspect, the lawyer, Daisuke Okeda, said.

After the shocking arson attack, which killed 35 people, the company initially said there were no records of receiving a novel from Aoba. However, the company later double-checked related records and discovered his name, according to the lawyer.

The records also include a part of the suspect's address announced by the Kyoto prefectural police.

[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]

Jiji Press