NTT Docomo to End i-Mode Service in March 2026
Tokyo, Oct. 29 (Jiji Press)--NTT Docomo Inc. <9437> said Tuesday that it will terminate its i-mode internet service for conventional feature phones at the end of March 2026, more than 25 years after its launch.
With i-mode subscriptions decreasing amid the spread of smartphones, the major Japanese mobile phone carrier will concentrate its management resources on fifth-generation, or 5G, advanced wireless communications services, to be commercialized in spring next year.
After its launch in 1999, i-mode became popular on the back of emoji-featured email functions, with the number of subscriptions peaking in 2010 at over 49 million.
NTT Docomo stopped accepting new subscriptions at the end of last month, when the number of subscriptions stood at some 7.6 million.
NTT Docomo President Kazuhiro Yoshizawa said that i-mode "has contributed to the expansion of mobile internet services."
[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]