Japan Govt to Support Tourism in Quake-Hit Kyushu Region
Newsfrom Japan
Guide to Japan Politics Travel- English
- 日本語
- 简体字
- 繁體字
- Français
- Español
- العربية
- Русский
Kumamoto, Aug. 22 (Jiji Press)--The Japanese government will take measures to support tourism in the Kyushu southwestern region including Kumamoto Prefecture, hit hard by last month's massive earthquake, Chief Cabinet Secretary Minoru Kihara said Saturday.
The measures will be included in the upcoming aid package due out this month. A government source said that the package will feature a travel fee discount campaign for the region.
"We want to launch promotion to help attract visitors to the whole Kyushu region," Kihara told reporters in the prefecture's namesake capital. "We'll include concrete plans to inspire sightseeing demand for reconstruction."
Kihara, who is from the prefecture, visited disaster-affected areas in the prefecture for the first time since the quake struck on July 28, measuring up to 7, the highest level on Japan's seismic intensity scale.
During his visit from Friday, Kihara inspected the Aeon Mall Kumamoto shopping facility, where a fatal blast occurred following the temblor, and Kumamoto Castle, whose stone wall was damaged.
[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]
