2. Personal Information
For the purposes of Nippon.com and its related services, “personal information” includes names, email addresses, geolocation data, IP addresses, and cookie data provided by users.
Users have the ability to change their browser settings to deny the acceptance of cookies, and to delete cookies stored on their own devices. Users should be aware that this may result in improper display of portions of the content of the website or the inability to make use of all of the website’s functions.
4. Personal Information Collected by Nippon.com
4.1. Personal information provided voluntarily by users
The following personal information may be received by Nippon.com and retained for limited periods of time for use in providing website data and other services.
- Email addresses for delivery of newsletters
- User profile data used for focused creation of newsletter content (available in Japanese only)
- Names and email addresses provided by users of the site’s contact forms
- Names, email addresses, personal backgrounds, and other information provided by applicants for and participants in NCF seminars or other events
- Names, email addresses, personal backgrounds, and other information provided by applicants for work opportunities at the NCF
4.2. Personal information collected automatically during site visits
This site and third-party services used by the site automatically collect and retain the following personal information for limited periods of time. This personal information will not be used to identify or specify any individual user of the site.
- IP addresses of user devices
- Types of user devices
- Web browser and OS information
- Addresses of sites visited by users immediately prior to and after viewing Nippon.com
- Records of user actions while viewing Nippon.com
- Information gathered via cookies, web beacons, or other similar tools
5. Purposes of Use of Personal Information
Nippon.com makes use of the collected personal information via the third-party services listed in the table below in order to offer a more convenient browsing experience to users of the website, as well as to improve the site’s performance and to plan future content for the site. These third-party services may collect and retain personal information.
Specifically, Nippon.com uses personal information for the following purposes:
- Analysis and collation of statistics on site users
- Personalization of content
- Targeted advertising of content
- Distribution of digital newsletters
- Responses to site comments and queries
- Handling of applications to take part in seminars and other events
- Handling of applications for work opportunities
The table displays the third-party services used by Nippon.com, the purposes for their use, and details on those services’ privacy policies. Some of these services are not used for all the language editions of the website.
Third-party services and privacy policies
6. Handling and Scope of Use of Personal Information
The NCF takes strict precautions in handling the personal information provided by users of Nippon.com. Email addresses provided by subscribers to our digital newsletters are kept on record and used only for the purpose for which they were collected. A user’s email address remains on record when that user unsubscribes from the newsletter, but the address will be deleted upon request from that user.
Personal information collected in the course of fielding queries and comments regarding the site, applications for work opportunities, and applications to participate in seminars and other events is used for those specific purposes and deleted once all related tasks are completed.
The operators of this site will not use the personal information for any purposes other than those described in section 5, or share the personal information with third parties, except when the disclosure of said information is required by law or for other particular reason. However, anonymized data produced through processing of this personal data, in the form of site access statistics, may be disclosed.
7. Transfers of Personal Information to Third Countries
For purposes of operation of this website, personal information collected from users may be transferred to and managed in Japan or other jurisdictions outside the European Union. In non-EU countries there may be cases where data rights are not the same as those in the GDPR. Nippon.com user data is handled in accordance with Japanese laws and regulations.
8. Term of Storage of Personal Information
Nippon.com will retain site users’ personal information for as long as it is needed to provide services to them. When the personal information is no longer needed for this purpose, it will be deleted promptly.
9. Necessity of Information Provision
The personal information collected from users of Nippon.com is required to provide content and related services to those users. When users choose not to provide this personal information, it may result in an inability to fully provide the content and services.
10. Security Measures for Data Processing and Retention
The operators of Nippon.com implement the measures necessary to appropriately manage the personal information collected from users while preventing it from being improperly disclosed, damaged, or destroyed. Nippon.com obtained an SSL certificate in December 2017 and continues to enhance the security of the site.
11. Personally Identifying Information and Information Provision
Except for information voluntarily provided by users, Nippon.com does not collect names, birthdates, or any other personally identifying information. We cannot respond to requests to disclose the personal information retained on an individual user, or to change the personal information on our records, due to the difficulty of confirming that the request is coming from the same user.
12. Alteration and Deletion of Personal Information by Users
The Nippon.com Newsletter is distributed to users who have registered an email address to receive it, and users are free to cancel their subscription at any time. When a request comes from the email address used to register for the newsletter service, it is possible to change or to delete the subscribed address.
Unsubscribe from the Nippon.com Newsletter here:
To get an email address removed completely from our records, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org from the email account you wish to remove.
13. Scope of Policy
14. Disclaimer of Liability
The NCF takes every care in creating the content published on Nippon.com, but does not guarantee the completeness, accuracy, usability, or safety of the information therein. Nippon.com bears no responsibility for the outcome of any action or decision taken by a user based on the information on the site.
15. Contact Information
Nippon Communications Foundation
4F, Sasakawa Peace Foundation Bldg.
1-15-16 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0001, Japan
16. Changes to This Policy