Japan’s Top 100 Blossoms: Gojō River (Aichi)
Iwakura hosts a cherry blossom festival each year featuring lit-up yozakura and demonstrations of nonbori arai in the Gojō River, where workers wash off excess starch—applied to produce a shiny finish—from freshly printed carp streamers. Ōguchi, with its riverside lane of some 1,700 cherry trees, is also a popular hanami destination.
Gojō River (Aichi)
- Variety: Somei yoshino
- No. of trees: 1,400 (in the city of Iwakura)
- When: Late March to early April
- Hours: Open 24 hrs.
- Admission: Free
- Address: Inoue-chō and elsewhere in Iwakura-shi, Aichi
- Website: Aichi Prefectural Tourism Association (Gojō River)
Nearby hanami sites
Near Gojō River
- Nagoya Castle’s Magnificent Palace and Tower on Show
- Updated Look and Exciting New Facilities at Central Japan Air Hub
- National Treasures: Japan’s Few Surviving Premodern Castles
(Translated from Japanese. Banner photo © Aichi Prefectural Tourism Association.)