Japan’s Top 100 Blossoms: Hōkōen Park and Nagahama Castle (Shiga)
The top floor of the Nagahama Castle Historical Museum is an observatory from which the cherry blossoms, at their peak, appear as a sea of sakuras. Just as dazzling is the view at dusk, when the petals glow under yozakura illuminations while the sun sets over Lake Biwa.
Hōkōen Park (Shiga)
- Variety: Somei yoshino
- No. of trees: 600
- When: Early to mid-April
- Hours: Open 24 hrs.
- Admission: Free (¥410 for Nagahama Castle Historical Museum)
- Address: Kōen-chō, Nagahama-shi, Shiga
- Website: Travel Guide Northern Lake Biwa
Nearby hanami sites
Near Hōkōen Park
- Okishima: The Largest Island in Japan’s Largest Lake (Video)
- A Trip to Ninja Country: Three Museums Dedicated to the Master Spies
(Translated from Japanese. Banner photo © Nagahama Tourism Association.)