Japan’s Top 100 Blossoms: Kitakami Tenshōchi Park (Iwate)
The many attractions of the cherry blossom festival include colorful koinobori (carp streamers) strung across the Kitakami River, riverboat cruises, and nostalgic horse-drawn carriage rides along the sakura-lined pathway. The beautifully illuminated blossoms, along with their reflections on the river, give nighttime visitors a double treat.
Kitakami Tenshōchi Park (Iwate)
- Varieties: Somei yoshino, kasumizakura, etc.
- No. of trees: 10,000
- When: Mid-April to early May
- Hours: Open 24 hrs.
- Admission: Free
- Address: 10-chiwari, Tachibana, Kitakami-shi, Iwate
- Website: Iwate Prefecture (Tenshōchi)
Nearby hanami sites
Near Kitakami Tenshōchi Park
- Rambling Along Iwate’s Northern Ria Coast on the Sanriku Railway
- Rambling Along Iwate’s Southern Ria Coast on the Sanriku Railway
- From One Hot Spring to Another in Iwate
- Traveling in Tōno, Iwate: A Birthplace of Japanese Legends
- Finding Miyazawa Kenji’s World in His Hometown
- World Heritage in Hiraizumi: Iwate’s Chūsonji Embodies a Buddhist Realm
(Translated from Japanese. Banner photo © Kitakami Convention and Visitor Bureau.)