Japan’s Top 100 Blossoms: Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura (Gunma)
The adjacent Miyagi Senbonzakura no Mori Park is divided into various sections, such as those for cherry trees from abroad and those native to Japan. The latter features 37 varieties, including an offspring of the famed 1,500-year-old Usuzumi Zakura—one of Japan’s “three great cherry trees”—in Gifu Prefecture. Also popular is a field of yellow rape blossoms that forms a beautiful contrast with pale pink petals of the somei yoshino.
Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura (Gunma)
- Variety: Somei yoshino
- No. of trees: 1,000
- When: Mid-April
- Hours: Open 24 hrs.
- Admission: Free
- Address: 2511-2 Naegashimamachi, Maebashi-shi, Gunma
- Website: Tourist Guide of Gunma Prefecture
Nearby hanami sites
Near Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura
- The Shibusawa Eiichi Memorial Museum: Exploring the Man on Japan’s Money
- A Guide to the World Heritage Tomioka Silk Mill
- Gunma’s Kusatsu Hot Springs: Free-Flowing Waters Refresh Body and Spirit
(Translated from Japanese. Banner photo © Maebashi Convention and Visitors Bureau.)